Initial Test Automatic 5 or 6 Speed Transmission
In general, Fast Learn is a procedure for Allison 1000 Series transmissions in which a series of tests are run to allow the transmission control module TCM to learn individual Clutch characteristics. Once the clutch data is learned, Fast Learn translates it to the adaptive data cells, which the TCM uses for clutch control during range shifts. Fast Learn is used at GM plants, and allows the vehicle to be driven out of the assembly plant in a near fully adapted state to minimize any customer shift concerns. The scan tool version of Fast Learn is intended to provide the same benefit following transmission repair or replacement at your local shop or Diesel Transmissions Performance Specialist. BD Diesel Power Or ATS Diesel Performance
Fast Learn must be used when one of the following repairs have been made to the vehicle:
- Transmission replacement or internal service/overhaul
- Valve Body repair or replacement, including replacement of the pressure control solenoids
- Transmission Control Module replacement
- Transmission Control Module software/calibration update
- Any service in response to a shift quality concern
- F3: Special Functions
- F1: Transmission Output Controls
- Fast Learn Tech II or Snap-On Tool
- Block the drive wheels.
- Apply the parking brake.
- Apply the service brake during DRIVE and REVERSE.
- 0 percent throttle and engine at idle RPM
- Transmission sump temperature is between 40-100°C (104-212°F)
- If equipped, 4WD Transfer Case in 2WD
Three steps are required to successfully complete the Fast Learn procedure:
- PARK Mode
- DRIVE Mode
- REVERSE Mode
While the transmission is in PARK, with the engine idling, FastLearn will cycle through a series of tests where the 3rd, 5th and reverse clutch and the 2nd clutch is repeatedly applied to learn their clutch characteristics. During the 3rd, 5th and reverse clutch and 2-6 clutch apply/release procedure, Fast Learn is able to characterize the pressure control solenoid 1 and pressure control solenoid 2 pressures corresponding to clutch return springs, and is also able to learn the volumes for the 3rd, 5th and reverse clutch and 2-6 clutch packs. In addition, the low and reverse clutch is repeatedly applied and released in PARK to purge out air for later learning of the clutch volume.
Block the wheels before selecting DRIVE. While in DRIVE, if the Scan Tool loses communication or becomes disconnected, the vehicle could move forward. Failure to block the wheels could result in personal injury or property damage.
Once all of the PARK test data have converged, the scan tool instructs the driver to select DRIVE. Once DRIVE is selected, the Transmission Control Module engages the 1-2-3-4 clutch to obtain DRIVE and learn 1-2-3-4 clutch volume. The TCM repeats this test until the volume learned for the 1-2-3-4 clutch has converged. The TCM then engages 4-5-6 clutch until the volume is learned and 4-5-6 clutch has converged.
Block the wheels before selecting REVERSE. While in REVERSE, if the Scan Tool loses communication or becomes disconnected, the vehicle could move backward. Failure to block the wheels could result in personal injury or property damage.
Next, the scan tool instructs the driver to select REVERSE. Once REVERSE is selected, the Transmission Control Module engages the low and reverse clutch to obtain REVERSE and to learn the low and reverse clutch volume. The TCM repeats this test until the volume learned for the low and reverse clutch has converged.
After learning the 1-2-3-4 and the low and reverse clutch volume, FastLearn updates the adaptive volume data for all shifts with either the 1-2-3-4 or the low and reverse on-coming clutch
If Fast Learn will not run and the above stated conditions have been met, ensure the following:
- Transmission fluid temperature is between 40-100°C (104-212°F).
- Closed throttle and engine at warm idle RPM
- No active DTCs
- All Speed Sensor are connected and functioning properly.
- Internal mode switch is functioning properly
- Main pressure is within specification.
- TCC slip speed less than 100 RPM at idle in PARK/NEUTRAL